Tuesday, May 1, 2012

my bangkok diary: day 2


April 14, 2012  
Today is my third day in Thailand, but since it’s still early morning and I haven’t done anything yet, I’m gonna talk about yesterday’s adventures. But let me describe first where I am right now. I am in the hostel lobby and it is full of guests. Behind me is a Caucasian guy, who looked at me before I sat down and write this entry. In front of me is that guy over there at the counter. I think he is in the processes of checking himself in.


Have I told you that there are tons of tourists here? I mean, from all over the world. Mostly whites, I guess. Then there are the yellows, the reds, and the browns – although I can’t really tell who the tourists are among the brown ones, since Thai people are mostly brown. I didn’t see much black people though. And by the way, the weather here is scorching – at least where there is no air conditioning. The heat can slap you as if it's a wet lasagna. Lasagna that was just retrieved from a pot of boiling water, that is. So if heat is your cup of tea, then go ahead and book a flight to Bangkok.

Okay, so going back to the purpose of this entry, let me recall what happened yesterday…

Yodchai, our driver, picked us up at 8:30am. We went to the floating market, which was a two-hour drive from Bangkok. When we arrived at a small boat terminal, we were met by people who manage the boats that take tourists to the market and the elephant village. The funny/scary part was, we were only able to bring money that was just enough for the boat-ride and elephant-ride fees. What about if we wanna buy something? We were like, “holy kamote!” I told Ai and Oli that we look like traveling paupers.


We took the boat anyway, stopped at the first two stores, and then I told the boatman not to stop at any store anymore. The items sold were so expensive and we were going to Chatuchak anyway. Of course, I didn’t tell the boatman that we didn’t have any money left. Ai was actually concerned that people there may think that Filipinos are poor. I should have suggested that we introduce ourselves as Vietnamese or Cambodians.






For people who didn't have any money left, we looked too darn happy about ourselves. =P



After going to the market, we went to ride the elephants. Yeyyy!!! – one more item crossed out from my bucket list. 


I was honestly afraid of the elephants because they look so powerful, and they’re tall so sitting on the back of one scared me out because I’m afraid of heights. What really shook me up was when our elephant went to the murky water (which I assume was full of shit) because it may decide to stay and submerge under water. It would have been one hell of an experience but I feel lucky it didn’t happen. Hahahaha…


 


After the market and the elephant ride, we were so ready to go back to the hotel, take a rest, and get some money. Yodchai, however, told us that we better go to the temples since it will be on our way to the hostel.  He even lent us money to pay for the entrance fee. Cool, no?

We went to Wat Po, where the huge sleeping Buddha was. Wat Po was super amazing and it was overflowing with people. It was also insanely hot there. Good thing I don’t have much fat in my body to sweat. Although, I did sweat as much as I could, naturally.













After Wat Po, at around 3:30pm, we finally went back to the hostel. We slept a little, changed clothes, and went to the lady-boy cabaret show. It looks nice in pictures but the production was fairly simple and the dance numbers were not well rehearsed. I didn’t really think it was a waste of money, though. Since, we are in Thailand, I think it’s a must that we see lady boys perform. =P



Si ate ang bida ng tanghalan.
Oh, before I forget… the Songkran activities are in full swing. I’m afraid it would be hard to stay dry for long.

Their containers hold water. These people splash water to passers by.

Wet kids. They splash water on whoever crosses their path.

2 comments: