Sunday, January 15, 2012

popped too!



We’ll be having our SBS book discussion next week. For this assignment (any novel by a Filipino author), I chose Popped Too by Chinggay Labrador. It’s a short novel about all things fangirl. I decided to review this book because I was thinking that I wouldn’t have time to read a lengthy one and that I wanted something chic lit and something relaxing to read. It also reminded me of my super twin, Cathy, who love all things Korean, and a certified K-Pop fangirl. She actually went to Korea last Christmas vacation to… you know, do fangirl stuff. (Ohh, the memories! I remember when I was a Westlife fanboy. Sigh…)

The NISA Team signed on a piece of paper, which Cathy laminated, and then attached to a padlock, which she locked somewhere in Locks of Love in South Korea.
Back to the book, I actually thought that I made the wrong move buying it. It was like Twilight all over again, where my expectations were really high and then I was left with Blah! Like, I dunno where the plot was going, every character was too perfect (they’ve jobs in magazines and the likes. hmp!), the goals of the characters were shallow, and in short, I just wasn’t hooked up with the first few pages. But then again, I needed to finish it soon so I have something to present come our 1st SBS meeting of the year.

The story goes like this: there were four friends, Andie, Trixie, Nica, and Cesca – the K-Pop fangirls. As close friends, they meet a lot and they like to have coffee. (Ding! Ding!) I was like, OMG, that’s me and my SB girls! (SB is short for Starbucks). 

SB Girls: Anj, Me, Cath, Ody, and Tinay (with Irish)
Ody is currently in the US. She sent us a pic of Starbucks in Anaheim because she misses us. (I assume)
The original SB Girls: Sher, Dina, Mary, Lea, and Me. But we no longer go to SB because smoking isn't allowed there anymore. Mary wouldn't have any of that.
 
Back to the story (before we were rudely interrupted by the pictures): Nica, a model, lives in South Korea and is pursuing JC, a K-Pop superstar. She’s in kinda-would-be-in-trouble because of the fanwoman (read: old lady who’s crushing on a popstar) who’s out to expose Nica to the hateful world of K-Pop fandom. Fanwoman just wants JC to focus on his work. It’s like Justin Bieber’s rabid fans hating on Selena Gomez.  Well, we don’t really have proof that fanwoman will do anything against Nica, it was just the assumption of her protective friends (they based their assumption on tiny hints from K-Pop forums). The super friends planned to fly to Korea and “protect” Nica. And buy clothes from H&M. And see sights. And go to Coffee Prince. And for Andie, to possibly meet with the Korean guy she was super crushing on, Mac. Uhm, anyway, I guess they just really wanted to go to Korea. Who cares about Nica, right?

In the four days that they were in Korea (wait, I suddenly remembered a college classmate, who, after coming back to the Philippines from being an exchange student in Korea, would always start her sentences with: In Korea…), their time was spent on, guess what? Shopping, K-Pop make-over, hiking to the 1st Shop of Coffee Prince in the mountain, clubbing, falling in love, denying being in-love, meeting popstars, and did I say clubbing? Then of course, there was this whole fanwoman thing – which was explained in like, uhm, four pages. Who cares about the woman trying to destroy your friend, right? And yeah, after some heartaches, they all lived happily ever after. And that’s that. Get over it. Let’s just not talk about the plot, okay? Maybe we can talk about the more important thing…

Did I enjoy reading it?

Hell, yeah!

Why not? I’m a fanboy myself! I cry over lunch while watching Boys Over Flowers and My Girl. I was actually writhing in pain when in Coffee Prince, Choi Han Kyul kissed Eun Chan even though he thought Eun Chan was a guy! So, this book was really worth it. It’s nothing Nicholas Sparks but it definitely brought smile to my face. Actually, I want this story for myself: cool job, awesome friends, and a blush in your face love life. (Cue: My Girl theme song!)

Coffee Prince
Boys Over Flowers
My Girl (as my friend Aya would say, TISSUES!)


Antique Bakery. I made that Antique-Bakery inspired artwork for the 2010 December issue of our domain magazine in the office.







No comments:

Post a Comment