Friday, December 30, 2011

The Secret Book Society

We started a book club at work. I’ve always wanted to join a book club but never got a chance to. It was Wilson who founded our little club, with KC and me as the first disciples; our first meeting happened two days back. I knew that they were fond of reading books but I didn’t expect that those two were such bookworms! If I was baby worm, they’d be my older siblings (although in reality, I’m the oldest among us three). When we started talking about the books and authors that we love, our eyes gleamed like we’ve seen gold. It was so hilarious because I felt our hearts beat faster as we recall our trips to bookstores and found our treasure books. It was geekdom to the core of the planet Arakis. =D

I facilitated the meeting and I started with “What’s the name of our book club?” Wilson replied, “Secret Book Society.” So I guess we’re the Secret Book Society, although if we gain numbers, we won’t be so secret anymore. Well, here’s our story:


KC started reading Sweet Valley High pocketbooks in elementary. She mostly reads classic, fantasy, and chic lit novels. She’s a fan of Jane Austen but her favorite novels are The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo and Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes. She was so enthusiastic about Last Chance Saloon that I think I’ll buy it next.



Wilson, on the other hand, was borrowing books from their school library since grade 1. Like KC, he's a fan of classics. He’s also into travel books, general info (seriously!), sci fi, and legal thrillers. His favorite book is Dune by Frank Herbert. Wilson has a blog na puro about Dune pa ang contents, o diba? He recently bought a book that’s prequel (or interquel --> may ganon??) to Dune; he even went to my work station to happily tell me about it. Gosh, these people! Lol. I’m actually grateful that I met those geeks. I haven’t had a full-fledged geeky discussion since last year!



So anyways, I started my love for books in my early elementary days as well. I borrowed books from my best friend, Glaiza. She had Disney story books like The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, and the like. When we went to malls, I’d go to National Bookstore to build my own story book collection. Right now, the stories that I like are horror, dark fantasy, sci fi, and those intended for children ages 10 to 60. My darling author is Neil Gaiman and his novel, The Graveyard Book, is number one on my list.

The Secret Book Society will be meeting again on the last week of January to formally review our first book assignment. KC picked out the theme and it was “Filipino.” I just bought my book-to-review earlier; it’s Popped Too by Chinggay Labrador. I’m not really a fan of Filipino authors but I hope this one is good. Sali ka sa book club namin?

----------------------------------
UPDATE: O ayan may sumali na! Welcome Fritzie!



"I remember that I started browsing National Geographic (magazines) when I was in grade school kasi tambay ako sa bahay ng Lolo and Lola ko. Marami nakakalat na magazine sa bahay nila kasi most of my dad's siblings are either still in college or has subscription to a couple of magazines. Then my bestfriend in high school is fond of reading novels and I got hooked in it for a while. Up until now, she would let me borrow one of her books and doesn't mind if I don't return it for eternity. Hehe. I just recently started reading inspirational/self-help books and I don't know how long this will last before I jump to other genres.:p"







9 comments:

  1. Your blog is so awesome Ceej! Will have to renovate mine and fill it with more sci-fi stuff. However, for your easy DUNE FIX, just drop by:

    http://www.hairyticksofdune.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. CJ your're amazing!!!! Glad to be part of our book club! I have always wanted to be into one and here I am. A dream come true!!! One down and hundreds, thousands of things to do in my bucket list. ;) Thank you CJ and our founder, Wilson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Achievement nga ito sa bucket list natin, KC =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ai, ikaw mag provide ng guide questions ha. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like book clubs. pwede pa ba sumali? -aileen Marasigan

    ReplyDelete
  6. go aileen! pag usapan natin yan sa monday hehe

    ReplyDelete